Monday, February 15, 2010

Pulp Fiction

Title: Pulp Fiction (1994)
Director: Quentin Tarantino
Starring: John Travolta, Samuel L. Jackson, Uma Thurman, Bruce Willis, Ving Rhames, Tim Roth, Amanda Plummer, Harvey Keitel
Rank: 94

auteur: [oh-tur] a filmmaker whose individual style and complete control over all elements of production give a film its personal and unique stamp.


It takes a lot for a director to become an auteur, but Quentin Tarantino will be considered one of the most unique directors of his time. Pulp Fiction, probably his most famous work (at least up until Inglourious Basterds), is certainly reeking of Tarantino's unique style and touch.

What I like about Pulp Fiction is that it is an artistic film rather than a film created to entertain the masses. It has become a classic, not just a novelty that people forget about a year after its release. These days, the films that come out of Hollywood seem to be based on previously made films, books, comics, toys, or just have a bunch of vampires in them. Hollywood rarely has a fresh taste nowadays. Hundreds of movies come out each year, only a few of them seem to have a flavor that isn't bland. With so many films coming from other sources over the past years, it is good to see Tarantino has his own style and is not afraid to try anything in his movies. He makes them to his own liking, without worrying whether or not the masses are going to like them. (I'm sure Tarantino couldn't care less how many screaming teenagers he can get to go to his movie's premiere.)

Pulp Fiction has a unique feel to it. Some parts of it resonate 1970's spy movies, while others it is difficult to put a finger on what kind of style it is similar to. For some reason, the first time I see one of Tarantino's films, I usually don't like it much. The first time I saw Pulp Fiction and Inglourious Basterds, I hated them. After rewatching them, though, I fell in love with them. (Inglourious Basterds is one of my favorite films of all times, even!) Perhaps the reason I didn't like his films the first time around is because Tarantino's style is an acquired taste. There is a certain mindset you must have when watching a Tarantino film- they can't be taken too seriously or you miss the subtle dark humor, and they can't be taken to lightly or they will fly over your head.

With Hollywood churning out so many films that taste like steamed rice, it is nice to have directors out there like Tarantino who give us some authentic new flavors. I can't wait to see what Tarantino is going to serve up next!



Movies to Go: 87


Please Note: Due to a slight medical condition that is currently causing me a lot of pain, I won't be watching and writing about another film until later on in the week or early next week. I have not left or forgotten about you all, I am just in need of a little break while I recover. See you soon!

No comments: