Thursday, January 14, 2010

Jaws

Title: Jaws (1975)
Director: Steven Spielberg
Starring: Roy Scheider, Robert Shaw, Richard Dreyfuss
Rank: 56




Fear. We all experience fear. What makes Jaws so scary is the fact that the antagonist of the film isn't actually doing anything wrong, and since it is acting upon its instincts there is no reasoning with it. If you're swimming nearby and it wants to eat you, you're going to be eaten! There is no begging a shark when they attack, no pleading for mercy, or hoping that it might be a vegetarian. The shark is only doing what it needs to survive, and eating the human swimmers is no different than a giraffe eating leaves off a tree. Except with the shark, it is devastating to the families and loved ones of its victims, whereas few people will grieve over the leaves the giraffe eats. Jaws is on AFI's list because it is so good at playing into fear.

Every person fears at least one thing. Sometimes our fears can be paralyzing and make us act irrationally. Chief Brody (played by Roy Scheider) fears the ocean, and refuses to go in the water or on a boat if he has any other option. When a twenty-five foots shark comes swimming into town, killing any of the leisurely swimmers it can get its jaws on, Chief Brody must take action. With the town council and the mayor working to keep the beaches open with the intention of safeguarding the town's revenue, Brody must take matters into his own hands. Brody faces so many of his own fears while fighting the shark alongside Matt Hooper (Dreyfuss) and Quint (Shaw). It is something that many people admire but seldom have to do- face their greatest fear and overcome it just as Brody did. It doesn't necessarily have to be the fear of a man-eating shark, snakes, or spiders, but it can also be a fear of failure.

The fear of failure is one of the most common fears (next to the fear of public speaking and the fear of dying), and understandably so when you look at it from the surface level. "Failure" is such an ugly word, and the definition (borrowed from dictionary.com) is "a person or thing that proves unsuccessful." No one wants to fail, which is why so many people tend to settle rather than take the risk of failing. It is so easy to want to settle in a career of being a desk-jockey, working the 9-5 hours, doing the busywork the boss gives you, rather than pursue those no-limit dreams we once had as a kid. (There is nothing wrong with a desk job, I only pick on it because I am not made to do it. There is no way I could work at a desk for the rest of my life, but that doesn't mean it isn't perfect for someone else.) I know when I was a kid there were so many things I dreamed of doing- being a famous comedian, being a famous singer, being a famous actress, becoming the CEO of the Disney Company- but over the years the dreams became smaller and much more "realistic." It made me sad, though, that I was denying my true passions and settling for something "easy" in comparison to those fabulous dreams I had when I was younger, and I have reverted back to pursuing one of those teenhood dreams, finally realizing what my passion in life is and ready to be the best I can be. Big dreams take big work, and failure is sure to come, but if you learn something from it and get back up, then it really isn't a failure. It can be hard taking risks- a risk is something that does not guarantee success, and there is always a chance of a failure- but taking risks and persevering through the tough times will all be worth it in the end. I know that I am not cut out to be a desk-jockey: I need change, I need challenge. What I want to do is going to take a lot of work, a lot of time and patience, and a lot of perseverance. I am worried that I will not make it, but I have to take the risk. Pursuing my dream-career is like Brody attacking the Great White shark: there is so much to fear, but it must be done to get the desired outcome. I remember this quote that has always stuck with me: "Courage is not a lack of fear, but action in spite of that fear."

There are several other factors that make Jaws such a great movie, and such a wonderful thriller. Music, of course, is one of those factors. (Another film with music by John Williams, my favorite film composer!) It plays into the fear of the menacing shark, and just hearing the theme song can bring back the memories of watching this movie. Jaws also brings out the fear of the unknown and the unseen- if we cannot see it, we tend to fear it more. Due to the animatronic shark not being so great, most of the shots of it are close up and only of bits and pieces, but it works so well. It makes the imagination go wild with dread. Combine all of these elements to create an amazing consternation within the viewer.

I happen to be afraid of sharks, and I am lucky that the weather is too cold to go swimming because every time I watch this film I can't bring myself to go in the water for a while after. Thanks to an overactive imagination, every time I see a shadow move in the pool after watching Jaws I make a hasty dash for the shallow end!

So tell me- what is your "Great White shark" fear that is holding you back from what you really want?

Trivia: (from IMDb.com)
•When Quint gets a call on the radio while on the Orca, the voice on the radio is Steven Spielberg.
•During filming of Jaws, the animatronic shark was nicknamed "Bruce," although Spielberg sometimes called it "The Great White Turd" when it would malfunction.

Movies to Go: 95

No comments: